Summer school is intended for students who want to become fluent SPR users.
TIME: June 6th - June 11th 2019
PLACE: Tampere University, Finland
Main organizers: Tampere University/MET and BioNavis Ltd
Co-organizers: University of Helsinki, Åbo Akademi
CREDITS: 3 ECTS
June 6 – starting from 10 am until June 11 – official program finishes around 4 pm, and will be followed by a networking event - sauna evening (finishing around 11 pm).
Summer school includes also social program (besides official agenda).
Detailed program will be provided later.
MSc and PhD students as well as industrial participants
Basic laboratory skills, background in pharmaceutics, chemistry, physical chemistry or biomaterials.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN:
Master SPR for life sciences – from affinity and kinetic constants to conformation changes, hands-on training on a pre-selected set of molecules, SPR experiment planning, assay development, understanding of the underlying physico-chemical phenomena to resolve challenges, new applications of SPR from science and industry. You will become an independent expert in SPR.
- Adj. Prof. Janusz Sadowski (BioNavis Ltd)
- Prof. Richard O'Kennedy (Dublin City University/Biotechnology)
- Prof. Orlando Rojas (Aalto University/Bioproducts and Biosystems)
- Dr. Arnoud Marquart (Sanquin Blood Supply Foundation, Founder of sprpages.nl)
- Prof. Jouko Peltonen (Åbo Akademi/Physical Chemistry)
- As. Prof. Stefan Spirk (Graz University of Technology/Chemistry and Technology of Materials)
- Prof. Thomas Schäfer (University of the Basque Country/Polymat)
- Prof. Vesa Hytönen (University of Tampere/Protein Dynamics)
- Dr. Tapani Viitala (University of Helsinki/Biopharmaceuticals)
- Dr. Hannes Orelma (VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland)
- Antibody-antigen as a training molecule set for all groups
Choose one of the following tracks as your main topic:
Note: During the registration, you should also select second topic (preferred topic no. 2).
During the course, you will learn about experiment planning, sensor surface selection, buffers, regeneration, through assay development, sample preparation and characterization to SPR measurements, data analysis and validation.
- SPR history and theory introduced by one of the fathers of the technology
- SPR instrument configurations
- Sensor surfaces and immobilization strategies
- Measurement disturbances and artefacts (how does it show in measurements, theoretical reasoning for the effect, strategies to mitigate the effect)
- From sensogram to affinity and kinetic constants
- From measurement to conformation change
- Validation of results (ITC, AFM, TOF-SIMS)
- Application highlights from research and industry
- Academia excluding accommodation:440 € (incl. VAT 24%)
- 870 € (incl. VAT 24%) - including accommodation* in shared double room
- 1220 € (incl. VAT 24%) - including accommodation* in a single occupancy room
- Industry 1500 € (incl. VAT 24%) - including accommodation* single occupancy room
The participation fee covers: accommodation*, course materials, breakfast, lunches, refreshments during the day and social program during three evenings
* Included accommodation: Norlandia Hotel https://norlandia.no/en/hotel/tampere
BioNavis will sponsor three participants with a scholarship that covers the participation fee and accommodation in shared double room. They will be chosen based on their applications.
on-line by April 15, 2019
WE ARE ALL LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU IN TAMPERE!
On behalf of the organizing committee,
Prof. Vesa Hytönen (TAU) (email@example.com)
Dr. Henna Mattila (TAU) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Janette Hinkka (TAU)
Dr. Tapani Viitala (UHel)
Prof. Jouko Peltonen (ÅA)
Dr. Johana Kuncová-Kallio (BioNavis) (email@example.com)
For more information, please, contact Henna, Johana or Vesa.